Friday, June 13, 2008

She can swim!!

We spent some time in the pool today. Oh, it felt great....just enough sun and just enough cool breeze. Humid and 90 degrees to everyone else, to me, I was 3 feet from heaven...Oh, it was good.

So, my friend Becky and her children, and me and mine were having a wonderful time. Our big kids are like fish, the littler ones (both 5 years old) are very interested in "swimming like adults." Those are actually the words Abbie used. She wanted so badly to get out of her inflatable ring. She kept trying to prove herself by closing her eyes, holding her nose, taking a big breath and putting her head under the water....but only for a minute.
Today, she took off. I held her under her belly and she was "paddling" her arms and legs, as you would to actually swim. After a few, few minutes, I was only holding her by a finger under her middle. I stood very close and watched carefully, and took my hand out from under her. It was like teaching a child to ride a bike. Letting go of them, when you see they are ready, but without them knowing it.
My parents' pool is 4.5 feet deep and 24 feet across. After only a few trys, Abbie made it 3/4 of the way across the pool, completely by herself...no rings....no swimmies....no help.....but with me right beside her. She is SO proud of herself and so am I.
Sometimes I know that is how God and I are, how our relationship falls. I beg and beg for something that I really want or think I need but only God knows how deep the pool is, how to swim and what I am actually asking for. Its too big for me to see.

0 comments:


Blogspot Template by Isnaini Dot Com